This is a very dense, moist pale yellow cake. The taste is most delicious so be prepared for raves and requests for the recipe. Perfect for fruit fillings, non-dairy custards, mousses, or combinations of fillings. We enjoy using a raspberry filling, and frosting the cake with vegan buttercream (simply eliminate the meringue powder from our Winter White Buttercream recipe.
2 cups all purpose flour
3 tbsp corn starch
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups almond milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
1/3 cup + 2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease and flour pans (We typically use 2 10″ heart pans.)
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, corn starch, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond milk and vinegar, then let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, oil, and vanilla to almond milk & vinegar mixture. Mix until frothy.
- Sift the flour mixture into the wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Bake around 30 minutes, until cake begins to pull away from sides and/or toothpick inserted in the center pulls out clean.